Living a Zero-Waste Lifestyle. Are You Doing Your Part?
Developing a less wasteful mindset is critically important now more than ever. Research shows that every household, on average, throws out $1000 worth of food annually.
What this mindset means to the core is:
- Whenever possible, you should do your part to reduce the plastic, food or packaging waste.
- To be ever-conscious about the products, services, food and drink we all purchase.
There are several ways to live a zero-waste lifestyle.
- Use reusable (see-through) containers to store leftovers. As much as possible, avoid using plastic wrap.
- Find creative uses for ALL leftover foods and use them soon after the original meal to eliminate spoilage.
- Choose organic products made sustainably.
- Reduce and eliminate all single-use plastic.
- Reuse all packaging, and at the very least, recycle your packaging whenever possible.
- Buy less, but better quality.
- Buy and support local to lower your food's carbon footprint.
- Grow your own - try your hand at gardening, whether in your backyard, in pots on a balcony or joining a community garden
- Subscribe to a Food Share program with produce supplied by local farmers.
At Piccola Cucina, we do as much as we can within the food manufacturing and eCommerce space to reduce our impact on the environment. Here are just a few things we do in our facility to be more sustainable in our manufacturing:
- Zero-waste production - nothing is thrown out or wasted. We sell our oops products at a discount.
- Offer products in bulk to minimize packaging
- Reuse ingredient packaging (like our almond boxes) for in-house use and shipping.
- Use the product and shipping label backings as filler in order fulfillment.
- Our Almond Pie Shell Boxes are made using recycled materials and are recyclable.
- Our Macaroon and Almond Flour bags are resealable and reusable.
- Ingredients - Almonds are sourced from a bee-friendly farm that uses sustainable farming practices. We use local ingredients whenever possible.
- Conserving water and energy - Turning lights off and the thermostat down when we leave a room, use low flow motion activated taps.
- Allow employees to work from home to minimize our carbon footprint.
Want to do more but don't know how? Start with our waste usage audit at home to find ways you can achieve a zero-waste lifestyle.
Share your tips and tricks to reduce or eliminate waste in your day-to-day lives.
Follow Piccola Cucina on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest for recipes, product updates and so much more.